Sunday, July 12, 2009

Is there any other option instead of cygwin for C compilers?

Ok, I'm starting to learn C. And like the idea of writing programs in notepad and then compiling them on the command prompt.





And cygwin is very good with this. The only thing is that it takes a lot of space in my hard disk and I don't need all the other tools or the Unix environment... I just need the compiler (gcc in cygwin).





Is there any other download that only downloads the compiler. Or do you recommend me some simple IDE with compiler that doesn't have a lot of stuff. I just don't want to get blurred with all the IDE's details and stuff. I just want to learn C.

Is there any other option instead of cygwin for C compilers?
What I did when I only had one computer is install VMware server and create some virtual computers/servers with Linux on it... Now, since disk space is a factor, I'd suggest you take a look at





http://www.delorie.com/djgpp/ for DOS


or


http://www.mingw.org/





IMO, you would have much more fun programming under some light linux distribution... For that, just download the VMware Server (they give free serial keys from the VMware website), get a light distro ( http://www.linuxlinks.com/Distributions/... ) and get gcc working on it. Then you'll be able to use sockets, play around with devices and anything there is on the linux virtual system, w/o being afraid to mess things up on your principal operating system; the virtual machines do not interfere with the principal OS.





If you need anymore help with this, just post what you chose to do and what problem you're coming up with!


No comments:

Post a Comment