Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Which speed is my game running at ? Help please..?

so I have an old school IDE drive as C drive, where my OS is installed within. and I just added a new SATA as D drive, where my game will be installed within.





now, if I run the game from D drive, which's a SATA drive, will it get the speed advantage from being in a SATA drive? or it will be still running on the old IDE speed simply because my OS is running in the background in a IDE drive.





thank you !!

Which speed is my game running at ? Help please..?
The game speed doesn't rely on the hard drive, although loading will be faster. The speed the game runs at will depend entirely on your CPU's frequency (speed), amount of RAM installed, video GPU frequency and the amount and frequency of RAM on your graphics card.





The OS won't slow the drive a bit.
Reply:you will get a mix





the os will run from IDE, and when the game needs to access disk it will run from the SATA.





but - the drive is unlikely to the the determining factor of the speed of your game. Your CPU speed, memory and graphics card speed will be the biggest factors. most games are setup to use disk when they load between sections, not continuously. One exception is that the game may need more memory than you have. then it will use disk as 'swap space' . is as a type of virtual drive that expands the memory. this will have defaulted to the ide drive - so will run more slowly. this should be a small effect unless you are really starved of RAM.





right click on my computer and go to properties, advanced, performance, advanced, virtual memory to change the location


No comments:

Post a Comment